Click to View Post Navigation
It is around 9 P.M, and you have already been hungry again. "I just had dinner 2 hours ago, and now I want to eat more. I feel like eating something sweet and soft, but it does not have to be sugar because sugar can worsen my weight while I am on a diet".
Suddenly, you remember that you bought a package of sweet potatoes yesterday. Good idea for a night meal. Now all you care about is how to steam these sweet potatoes as best as you can.
Don't worry! Following our tips shared in this post. You can end up enjoying very delicious steamed sweet potatoes.
How to steam potatoes
Everyone is familiar with the tasty flavor of sweet potatoes. In some least developed Asian countries, sweet potatoes even help the poor overcome their daily hunger. Sweet potato is well adapted to different climates. Therefore, its popularity presents everywhere, becoming an inevitable food for human.
However, it is the case that not all people know how to steam sweet potatoes in right ways. Before I introduce you three different methods to steam potatoes, please make sure that you know how to choose good sweet potatoes from either traditional markets or supermarkets or both.
The best way to tell the difference between good and bad sweet potatoes lies in their size and color of skin. You should choose medium to small sweet potatoes because the larger ones are often starchier. Besides, potato skin has to be smooth, firm and even-toned.
The deeper the skin color is, the higher nutritional value a potato has. Then sweet potatoes must be stored in a dry and cool place, not in the refrigerator, for around two weeks. Once you make sure about your clever choice of sweet potatoes, you should start making steamed potatoes.
#1 Tip: Quick steaming method
This tip is for those who are quite lazy in getting into the kitchen in the middle of the night and cook sweet tomatoes and those whose hungers are so strong that they have to eat as soon as possible. Total steaming time takes only 7 minutes.
What you need to prepare:
- 02 or more medium sweet potatoes
- 03 teaspoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to enjoy hot sweet potatoes
Following these steps:
- Pour water into the steamer (about 2 inches of water) and wait for 5 minutes for the water to boil.
- Cut sweet potatoes into medium cubes
- Add sweet potatoes into boiling water carefully to avoid hurting yourself with hot water. Then cover the steamer with a lid and let the steamer boils for more 7 minutes.
- Take the sweet potatoes into a dish.
Now you can toss sweet potatoes with salt and pepper to better your appetite.
#2 Tip: Basic Steam sweet potatoes
This tip is very simple and easy to follow . The main ingredients include:
- 02 or more medium sweet potatoes
- 02 cups of water
Besides, to add more flavor to sweet potatoes while you eat, you can choose butter or salt to taste. I bet you will enjoy sweet potatoes better.
Now is the direction.
- Peel sweet potatoes with a sharp knife or a potato peeler to save time and smoothen the skin of sweet potatoes.
- Chop sweet potatoes into small chunks. You can cut potatoes into three or four parts depending on the size of each sweet potato. To make the steamed sweet potatoes look attractive to others, you should slice sweet potatoes into similar sizes to help sweet potatoes cook evenly and thoroughly.
- Place sliced sweet potatoes on a steam rack and put it into a large saucepan. The saucepan is added with water in the first place. Please be noted that steaming sweet potatoes does not mean submerging them into boiling water.
- Now turn your burner on and wait until the water boils strongly. Once it boils, lower the heat and let the sweet potatoes be cooked for at least 15 minutes. Cooking time often varies because potato pieces can be big or small.
- Remove the lid and watch your hand as the heat from the steam might burn you. Take the sweet potatoes out of the steam rack and place them on a plate. The sweet potatoes are now soft and sweet. You can now enjoy them with a little butter or salt.
#3 Tip: steam baking with sweet potatoes
This tip is not familiar with most people but don’t worry, the sweet potatoes steam baking method doesn't cost you time and effort.
- 02 to 04 sweet potatoes or more if you prefer
- 0.5 to 01 cup of water depending on number of sweet potatoes you plan to cook
- Put sweet potatoes on a baking plate and slit them with a knife. Make sure that sweet potatoes should be better arranged in one layer so that they can be cooked evenly.
- Add water to the baking plate in a way that the water is not over the half of the plate. Now you cover the baking plate with aluminum foil and put the dish into the oven. The baking time is between 45 minutes and one hour.
- When the sweet potatoes are soft, take it out from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Peel the potato skin with your hands because when sweet potatoes are cooked well, their skin can easily be separated.
- Put the sweet potato flesh in a bowl, and you can add butter, salt or ginger into the bowl and mix them all.
Now you have mashed up sweet potatoes. Do it now guys!
To sum up
Sweet potato itself is a very delicious and easily cooked food. I believe whether sweet potatoes are steamed in the simplest or in a more time taking way, they can still deliver the outstanding flavor provided that you choose good potatoes.
Now you have no reason to concern about unexpected hunger at night as soon as you have sweet potatoes. Share this post if you find it interesting. Do not forget to follow up our next articles.